Students who apply and are assigned to a different school will lose their guarantee to return to their previous school. Students who apply to change schools and do not receive an assignment to a ranked school will be re-assigned to the next grade level at their current school. Families who receive a placement at a school they choose on their NCAP will forfeit any prior school placement.
Families should complete the NCAP if:
- The student is entering the public school system for the first time, such as a new kindergartener.
- The student is currently enrolled in a NOLA-PS school in a terminal grade (the last grade level offered) and will need to choose a new school for next year, such as 8th graders who need to apply to 9th grade.
- The student would like to switch schools to a different NOLA-PS school for next school year.
- The student is new to Orleans Parish and will be starting school in NOLA-PS next fall.
- The student is seeking to transfer to a publicly funded seat in Orleans Parish for the next school year, such as from a private school, parochial school, or another school setting.
Families should NOT complete the NCAP if:
- If the student is happy with their current school and that school offers the next grade level. Returning students who do not apply to attend another school are guaranteed to return to their current school for the following school year.
- The student needs to be placed into a school for the current school year (not next school year).